Estimated Reading Time: 2 minutes
Popular fashion pieces from the 90s that we once considered old-fashioned and unsightly are now being reborn and re-worn. Fueled by nostalgia, trendsetters on Pinterest and Instagram are traveling back in time and inventing ways to mix retro trends with modern wardrobes. Keep scrolling to revisit some iconic 90s outfits, and learn the key pieces you need to get the looks!
Back and better than ever, the grunge look was popular in the early 90s.The style may have begun as an anti-fashion statement, but it turned into a fashion staple for angsty teens, and even appeared on runways. Channel your inner rebel with:
- Oversized band tee or graphic tee: This rock ‘n’ roll essential has made a huge mark on today’s streetwear. Stick to monochrome tones and an oversized fit. For extra warmth, layer it over a long-sleeve top in contrasting color.
- Oversized flannel shirt: This piece can never be missing from the equation. The flannel shirt plays a large part in the 90s grunge trend, injecting the look with nonchalant vibes.
- Ripped jeans: Ripped jeans started out as a subculture trend before gradually entering mainstream fashion. Choose a pair of jeans that’s obviously distressed to really nail the grunge look.
- Chunky combat boots: The heavy-duty footwear first used by the military was embraced by goth, metal and grunge subcultures. These boots are now seen everywhere from catwalks to the closets of “it” girls. Cop a pair to instantly take your outfit to a whole different level!
No one sported colorful threads better than The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air! From tracksuits and Zubas pants to high-tops and backwards caps, Will Smith popularized many vibrant, iconic streetwear looks in the classic 90s sitcom. To recreate a hip-hop look similar to the Fresh Prince, you’ll need:
- Overalls: Originally worn by carpenters, painters, mechanics, factory workers and farmers, this utilitarian workwear evolved over time into a durable yet fashionable garment of choice. Keep it simple, stylish and comfortable with one rendered in classic denim!
- Colorful shirt or blouse: A popping color scheme is a major highlight of 90s fashion. In terms of color choices, the sky is the limit! Pick a shirt in any loud color or pattern – yellow, orange and green in particular to amp up the nostalgic feel – so you can look as fresh as the Fresh Prince himself!
- High-top canvas sneakers: The high-tops you’ve had since high school may be one of your best fashion investments. You can go back to this trusty pair over and over again without fail. All you need is a clean-cut monochrome pair to tie the whole old-school hip-hop look together!
The preppy look was famously popularized by the movie Cluelessbackin 1995. Cher Horowitz taught us how to look incredibly chic ina matching plaid set. The all-plaid look is also favored by many high fashion designers, so the trend is here to stay. Bring Cher’s cute, preppy look back with just:
- Matching plaid set: A co-ord set is designed to be worn as is, which makes it easy to style. Grab one in a popping color or print to stand out from the crowd.
- Mary Janes with over-the-knee socks: Characterized by a strap at the vamp, Mary Janes are once again at the forefront of footwear, thanks not only to their charming design but also their versatility. A glossy pair of MJs teamed with over-the-knee socks will add a sophisticated touch to your look.
Scroll through images of 90s punk fashion, and you’ll find plenty of leather jackets, pleated mini skirts and frayed tops. With stars like Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder reinterpreting the punk look, this edgy, counterculture style became popular in the 90s, especially with teenagers. Embrace the 90s punk spirit and create the look with:
- Faux leather jacket: The black biker jacket is a must-have to achieve the punk look. Leave it plain or customize with pin badges, chains, studs or even splashes of acrylic fabric paint.
- Skinny jeans: Choose a pair with unique stitching and distressed details to add extra punk rock points to the outfit.
- Oversized long-sleeve plaid shirt: No 90s outfit is complete without plaid! You can either layer it under your leather jacket or tie it around your waist.
- Platform boots: Look for a good pair of chunky platform shoes! They may be a pain to break in, but they elevate just about any outfit with cool, edgy vibes.
(Visited 299 times, 10 visits today)